Subject: IMPORTANT: Summer Semester Examination 2020-2021
Dear students taking MSc courses in the Department of Computer Science,
Referring to the email messages sent to all students from the Examination Office previously on 23 July, you are reminded the following important issues:
Registration on OLEX
- If you did not take any examination on OLEX in the second semester, you must complete the registration on OLEX (https://olex.hku.hk/exam/register.html) and activate your Zoom accounts immediately.
Proctored Online Examinations with Two Devices & Two Zoom Meetings
- The same arrangement used in the examinations in the second semester will be applied to the examinations in the summer semester.
- The following diagram summarizes the settings on the two devices and their connections to the two Zoom meetings:
Instructions and Guidelines
- Students should read Instructions to Candidates for Online Examinations: http://www.exam.hku.hk/pdf/instructions2candidates_online_exams.pdf
- Advice for Taking Proctored Exams via the OLEX System and the OLEX-Moodle: https://intraweb.hku.hk/reserved_1/tlearn/guidelines/Advice_for_Taking_Proctored_Exams_via_the_OLEX_System_and_the_OLEX.pdf
- Step-by-Step User Guide for Students Using OLEX (https://its.hku.hk/olex/user-guide)
- Video on Conducting Invigilated OLEX and OLEX-Moodle Exams (Before Exam) ( https://lecturecapture.hku.hk/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=b47eb132-875d-456b-b8d1-ad19007211a6 )
- Video on Conducting Invigilated OLEX and OLEX-Moodle Exams (During Exam) ( https://lecturecapture.hku.hk/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=1cb86e86-3807-4f1b-ae57-ad1900719d9e )
Testing your Devices
- Students should test the settings on your devices well in advance.
- After you have registered for the OLEX system, you should practise the online examinations at the drill site (https://drill-olex.hku.hk/exam/drill.html) or (https://18.104.22.168:8073/exam/drill.html) (for connection in Mainland China).
- If you anticipate that online invigilation is not feasible at your own place due to poor network connectivity or any other constraint (e.g. no third device for scanning), you should apply for a special arrangement immediately. Alternative arrangement such as provision of examination venue in the campus can be granted if there is solid ground supporting the application. Please be reminded that you still need to join the Zoom sessions for the online examinations because the invigilators and the examiners will not be on campus with the students. All applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Specific Requirement of Each Course
- Please refer to the Moodle course website for specific requirements of the examination in each course (e.g. use of calculator, open/closed book, handwritten/typed answer etc.)
- The following examinations require students to hand-write their answers on paper only:
COMP7305, COMP7502, ICOM6027
Students need to scan their answer with 3rd device at the end of the examination.
If you have any questions about the general examination arrangements, please email at email@example.com. For technical support, you may contact ITS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MSc Programme Office, HKUCS
3 August 2021
Date: 23 July 2021
Summer Semester and the Supplementary Examination 2020-2021
The assessment period for the Summer Semester and the Supplementary Examination will start very soon and we would like to take this opportunity to summarize the important points to note which you may find useful in preparing for the examinations.
Two Devices & Two Zoom Meetings
1. Online examinations will be held on either the OLEX or OLEX-Moodle platform with two Zoom meetings (i.e. the Zoom Invigilation session and the Desktop-sharing session) arranged for each student during the examination.
(a) Students are required to join the Zoom Invigilation session with their desktop/ laptop computer attempting the examination for live proctoring by an invigilator and communication with the invigilator and also with their mobile phone for capturing their working environment.
(b) Students are at the same time required to join the Desktop-sharing session, as scheduled by the University on their behalf, with their same working computer to share the complete desktop screen with the invigilator and also record it throughout the examination. The Desktop-sharing session shall be recorded onto your computer and then uploaded to your OneDrive/ Google Drive. You shall arrange, within the designated timeframe after the examination (i.e. within 6 hours after the examination end time for examinations starting before 6:30 pm, or within 12 hours after the examination end time for examinations starting at or after 6:30 pm), to share, via OLEX, the location of your local recording on OneDrive/ Google Drive with the University, for the purposes of verification of the student’s identity, checking of examination environment, handling of irregularities in the examination, or any related purposes for upholding the fairness and integrity of the examination.
Please read/view the corresponding guides/instructions/videos for detailed arrangements about the online examinations:
(i) Instructions to Candidates for Online Examinations (http://www.exam.hku.hk/pdf/instructions2candidates_online_exams.pdf);
(ii) Advice for Taking Proctored Exams via the OLEX System and the OLEX-Moodle (https://intraweb.hku.hk/reserved_1/tlearn/guidelines/Advice_for_Taking_Proctored_Exams_via_the_OLEX_System_and_the_OLEX.pdf);
(iii) Step-by-Step User Guide for Students Using OLEX (https://its.hku.hk/olex/user-guide)
(iv) Video on Conducting Invigilated OLEX and OLEX-Moodle Exams (Before Exam) ( https://lecturecapture.hku.hk/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=b47eb132-875d-456b-b8d1-ad19007211a6 )
(v) Video on Conducting Invigilated OLEX and OLEX-Moodle Exams (During Exam) ( https://lecturecapture.hku.hk/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=1cb86e86-3807-4f1b-ae57-ad1900719d9e )
15-minute Grace Period for Answer File Submission
1. For examinations via OLEX and OLEX-Moodle Assignment, there is in general a grace period of 15 minutes after the end time of the examinations for students to upload their answer file to the examination platform. For examinations in which the examiner prescribes a different length of grace period, such information is specified in the special notes of the examinations concerned in the examination timetables. Please note that no student shall leave the Zoom meetings during the grace period.
2. Please note that there is no grace period for examinations via OLEX-Moodle Quiz and your answers will be submitted automatically at the end of examination.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO BEFORE THE EXAMINATION
Both the OLEX and OLEX-Moodle platforms are accessible via the same OLEX Main Page. Before you can access this Main Page and the platforms, you must register on OLEX (https://olex.hku.hk/exam/register.html). If you have already registered in the Second Semester Examinations, your registration data and consent to the terms of using the platform will automatically be carried forward to this semester and you are not required to register again. Students are required to register once only (instead of for every examination). Upon successful registration, an acknowledgement email will be sent to your portal account and also your alternative email registered. If you have any query on the status of your registration, please contact ITS at email@example.com. You should complete the registration or else you will not be able to access the OLEX Main Page or these platforms or the drill site.
After you have registered for the OLEX system, you should practise the online examinations at the drill site (https://drill-olex.hku.hk/exam/drill.html) or (https://22.214.171.124:8073/exam/drill.html) (for connection in Mainland China).
You should also download the latest version of Zoom onto both your desktop/ laptop computer and mobile phone and login once at ( https://hku.zoom.us ) with your HKU Portal UID/PIN to change your Display Name in the Profile:
First Name : Please enter your full name as shown on the HKU University ID card.
Last Name : Please enter “_”.
If you anticipate that online invigilation is not feasible at your own place due to poor network connectivity or any other constraint, you should apply for a special arrangement. Please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org before July 31, 2021 for a proper arrangement. Alternative arrangement such as provision of examination venue in the campus can be granted if there is solid ground supporting the application. All applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that late application may not be processed.
You may also consider making use of the laptop/ tablet loaning program launched by the HKU Libraries (https://lib.hku.hk/cdd/equipment/laptop.html) for the preparation of examination equipment.
Please note that there will not be any mock examinations for the Summer Semester.
If you have any questions about the examination arrangements, please email us at email@example.com. For technical support, you may contact the Information Technology Services (ITS) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
The University of Hong Kong